Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Overlay Tutorial

My Celebrating Light Overlays have been such a HUGE hit but I've had a few customers ask about how to use them. Even though I've included a tip sheet in the download of the product, you may be like me and find visual instructions more helpful, I have put some together for you!!

We will be going from this before to the after, using the happy {warm} texture and the color bokeh.

Step 1. First, open up your photo and the texture you wish to use. Click and drag the texture over the top of the photo. Once you are there, you may need to resize the texture to fit the photo. Go to EDIT>Free Transform (or ctrl+T) and use your cursor to grab the corner of the overlay. Click and drag the corner to the corner of the photo.

**NOTE: If your texture overlay is facing the wrong direction (for example, you wan the "light" coming in from the top right corner instead of the top left corner, go to EDIT>Transform>Flip Horizontal and that will change the direction.
Step 2. Using the blending modes on your layer palette, change the mode to a desired look (I went with hard light, but soft light works, too). This will probably be too harsh, especially around the face area. Take your soft, round eraser brush with a low opacity and erase back the areas that need it. Also, play around with the opacity of the texture layer to soften the look more.

**NOTE: If you don't like the textured look of the texture overlay and you just want the color and light, go to FILTER>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set your radius between 6 and 10.
If this is as far as you want to go, be sure to save your file as a NEW document so that you maintain the original photo. If you want to add the bokeh, read on!

Step 3. Now you are ready to add the bokeh overlay. Open the bokeh you wish to use and click and drag your overlay over your photo. Change the blending mode of the bokeh layer so that you get a natural look (I used overlay here). O adjusted the opacity for a softer look.

I wanted to only have the bokeh around the trees and near the edge of the photo where the light was coming in, so I used a soft, round eraser set at a low opacity and I erased back the areas I didn't want. Once you are satisfied with how it looks, save your file as a NEW document so that you maintain the original photo. If you want MORE bokeh, duplicate the layer and move that layer around to where you like.

59 comments:

Jessica said...

My biggest challenge is getting my boys to stand still!! lol

I would have to say my second biggest challenge is remembering to be aware of what is in the background of the photo. I've had some great pictures spoiled by distracting/embarrassing things in the background! ;)

Jessica said...

tweeted! http://twitter.com/jesspranaitis

amymom24 said...

Great tutorial - thanks! My biggest challenge is nailing the focus. I'm getting there:)

Sheana said...

My biggest challenge is definitely nailing exposure.

Uyen said...

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. My biggest challenge is getting my 19 month old son to stay still long enough to capture a photo. I end up with a lot of blurry shots because he's moving around so much.

Diana Martin said...

Exposure is not my friend but I keep trying!

Diana Martin said...

Twitter: http://twitter.com/dideemartin

Lime said...

Hi! I'd like to win these, for sure! My biggest challenge is my camera. I have it set with very large file sizes and it takes forever to get up the ooomph to take the next pic. (Meanwhile my subjects are getting antsy and rolling their eyes -- you know what I mean if you have teenagers.)

Lesli said...

Great tut!

My biggest challenge...getting the light the way I want it--before it changes!

Nettie B said...

wonderful tutorial ~ think the biggest challenge is just to go with it - pick a setting, don't over think it, take lots of shots, and Enjoy The Moment Because Life Is Short - i'm no pro, i know it, and that's what post processing is for, eh? Thanks!

Lesli said...

I think I tweeted (if I did, it would be my first, LOL!)

http://twitter.com/tweetypai

Polished Peripherals said...

my biggest challenge is keeping the kids away from my cameras :)
They are so used to seeing Mom with the camera that they want to take their own photos now.
I did have a little P&S for my 4yo but it wasn't very good so I replaced it with a G10 and there's no way I'm letting him have that yet.

Anna said...

Since I am a beginner my biggest challenge is to get off auto mode.

lebjs said...

Wow what an amazing prize - thanks for the opportunity to win them & for the great tutorial. My biggest challenge is in getting the shot quickly enough. Sometimes I miss the moment by a second : )

Deca Designs said...

I love this!!! So what a wonderful gift! I love taking photos..But for me the most difficult is taking pictures at night!! The results never be what I want!! Kisses Deca

Candy said...

I have a few...getting TOO close and realllllly seeing the light. :)

Lbrtychic said...

My biggest challenge is getting my husband to cooperate and not make silly faces, rabbit ears on my son, or just looking dumb. I have a 10 year old and he cooperates much better than DH.

Amelia said...

Lately my biggest challenge has just been having my camera with me. Too scattered making sure I have everything for the baby packed that I forget the camera and miss some great shots! Getting better again though....

Cmmargaret said...

One of my biggest challenges is with light, shadows, and using my flash. My house must be just too dark. I am constantly fighting the shadows around my subjects!

posted by lori said...

My biggest challenge is to get my 22 month old to look at me when i'm trying to photograph her...she truly refuses to look at me no matter what i do or makes the slyest looks while not looking at me which r a photo opportunity in itself but a mama would like the eye contact once in awhile. Well one can only hope... :-)

The Lord Family said...

My biggest challenge is avoiding the fake smile with my 6 and 9 year olds. Any tips?? :)

Jenny said...

My biggest challenge is using the manual settings on my SLR. STill learning, but loving it!

Sharon said...

My biggest challenge is capturing that precious smile before my niece is off to her next adventure. I am getting a more advanced camera for Christmas, so hopefully that problem will be solved! I sure could use these overlays to make her pictures "shine"!

SusanD said...

My biggest challenge is agonizing over, "Do I have the settings right for the situation?" That makes me really nervous while everyone is waiting!

yellowsunnybear said...

My biggest challenge is getting close enough. Even when I think I am, I often end up cropping even closer.

Paper Bling said...

I'm actually experiencing my biggest challenge this month. "Night Photography" is difficult for me. My youngest daughter was invited to ride in the Christmas Parade on Saturday, and we are "lighting up" the horses. I took some test shots at the rehersal, and struggled with getting a clear shot of my daughter, while incorporating all of the sparkling lights.

Courtney said...

my biggest challenge in taking photos is getting my camera to do what i want it to do. It was a nice camera that my sister gave me and I am not quite sure still how to perform all the functioins I want. I know what I want to do, but con't figure out how to do it :)

Laura in CT said...

Getting natural candids, putting people at ease in the presence of the camera. My family is pretty used to the camera, but others tend to tense up when the camera comes out.

Mandy said...

My biggest challenge is catching my kids sitting still. I have so many blurry photos of them running around or squirming when they're sitting.

Lynn said...

Fabulous prizes! Congrats, Latz!

My biggest challenge... wiggly giggly children and my household clutter.

Oh well, that is the stuff of life!

My next challenge... I really want to get out of "Auto Mode".

Lynn said...

Tweet! Tweet! http://twitter.com/lynning/status/6306095901

and here's what I said:

@LeoraSanford is having a 25 Days of Christmas on her Blog - Today is Day 3 - fabulous giveaway! Crossing my fingers! http://ow.ly/166iMr

Anonymous said...

Since I don't use my flash, my biggest challenge is lighting.

Anonymous said...

Tweeted: http://twitter.com/GailFort

Erica Webster said...

A mother of 3 kids under six leads to my biggest problem with taking photos, specifically group photos. I've come to relax about it and just be happy when by chance I can get them all in frame at the same time and all looking at the camera.

Cat M. said...

My biggest challenge is sometimes my focus! I get carried away in getting a great shot and forget about the focus when I've got it off of auto pilot! :)

Rebecca aka MamaBee said...

My biggest challenge in taking a photo is knowing when to click... sometimes I wait to long in hopes for the perfect shot and I miss the moment... I should just click to capture the moment and then use your fabulous photo packs to cure the photo. LOL! Thanks for the chance to win!!

Our Family said...

Getting my youngest to look at the camera! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. It is really helpful. I think my biggest challenge with photos is #1)nailing the focus and #2)being able to "see" each photo as a photographer rather than as a mom. For me, it is so much easier to take pictures of others people's kids because I am able to be a little more objective artistically, kwim?

Michelle said...

My biggest challenge is lighting!! I'm currently reading a lighting book!! I already bought your lighting overlays. LOVE THEM!

Denise said...

Biggest photo challenge? Just having the camera where I want it when I want it!

Joy said...

My biggest challenge is getting my boys to smile and keep standing so I can get off more than one shot. Also, just getting my photos squared/centered. You can always tell if I took the photo - have to align it with PS. Thanks for the tutorial.

Monica Rysavy said...

My biggest challenege is camera shake from my hands causing blur. I have pro level gear but I still struggle with this no matter how fast I make the shutter speed or how high I crank the ISO - especially if the subject isn't still. My hands don't normally shake but when I'm trying to hold them still to take a pic they do - it's so frustrating!

Ina N said...

My biggest challenge is the focus and available light! I have an 8 month old that is crawling around indoors, so I have a hard time taking a picture that is in focus lately! I'm not good at flash photos, so the lighting is an issue for me too.

Anonymous said...

I tried to purchase all of your celebrating light sets using the coupon code Day1_25DAYS, but I ran into a Paypal problem and had to resubmit my order. Of course, the coupon code would not work again. I asked LDD customer service whether I could re-submit my order but have received no reply. Is there any way for me to resubmit my order AND have the coupon code work? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll win all of the sets and it will be a moot point anyway. But just in case, please let me know.
k dot ingraham at lycos dot com

sts2000 said...

My biggest challenge is having my camera with me...I know that it should be simple to take it along, but often times I am nervous about the safety of the camera or for instance having it at work is not always conducive to use during work hours - even if I see an awesome shot.

denali said...

Stopping. I take WAY too many (bad) photos :)

photomagic247 said...

My biggest challenge is getting the kids (or birds or butterflies or . . . ) to be still long enough to get a great shot! I don't have an actual DSLR (yet) and my camera is good but just not fast enough. I end up with blurred pics.
And my other challenge is to get my hubby to take me serious when I try to get a pic of him! He always makes a funny face, rolls his eyes. sticks out his tongue! Uggg! I will even set up a timer shot of both of us, camera shaps the pics, I run back to the camera all excited only to find hubby was making faces (or pretending to be grabbing my boob!). DOUBLE UGGGGG!

Heather said...

My biggest challenge is getting what I have pictured in my mind to translate to the photo (lighting is my nemesis!)

Michelle said...

Getting my 12-in-2-weeks-year-old to give me a pleasant expression - let alone a genuine smile!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Tutorials search engine today (look for timestamp: 03 Dec [LA 02:00pm, NY 05:00pm, UK 10:00pm] - 04 Dec [OZ 09:00am]).

Laurel said...

Getting all five kiddos to look at the camera at the same time!

Evan's Eclipse said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I love learning about making my pictures better! I love to create all sorts of things...I make kali stick bags for the kids in my son's martial arts school, I make halloween costumes and I recently learned how to make some awesome christmas ornaments.

Jamie said...

finding light! It always seems in the best moments there isn't enough light, or it's too hard.

Jennifer said...

since it is winter again, blah...my biggest problem is lighting and getting good indoor photos.

Lois B said...

My biggest challenge is learning to use my camera. Too often I just resort to "auto" and need to really learn what the camera can do.

slehc said...

I have a DSLR camera and my biggest challenge is to figure out all the settings and then remember to change them when I go to a new place.

Creative Expressions by Lynn said...

Interesting. Never seen this before.
Lynn

KarenP said...

Do your overlays work with Photoshop Elements 8?

Leora Sanford said...

Hi Karen,
Yes!! They will work because they require the use of blending modes and that version of elements DOES have blending modes. :)