To kick this off, I have a very easy, very practical project that I was inspired to do...this was NOT my initial idea, but I did make it my own. :) (P.S. The adoable frames I used throughout the tutorial are Cut & Paste by Paislee Press.
I made a dry-erase board out of some simple supplies I already had on hand at home. First off, my project was inspired by THIS blog post at make and takes. I went with the "to do" list functionality of the board rather than the menu because that would imply that I actually pre-plan my meals.Since the frame that I had on hand wasn't the size of scrapbook paper (12x12 in.), I realized that I had to come up with some other clever backdrop for it....so I played around and came up with a 3-dimensional technique using paper circles and sewing them into a garland.
Here's what you'll need:
- a large paper-crafting hole punch (I used 1.5 inch diameter size)
- multi-purpose craft glue
- any sturdy paper (I used old linen paper that I got from a thrift store stationary kit)
- sewing machine
- large frame with glass (mine was 16x26)
- wild flowers that Paige picked for you and placed in a coffee can (optional) *see photo

Once my 8 garlands were sewn together, I started gluing them directly onto the board that serves as the back of the frame. You could cover it but I decided that I liked the kraft-colored look of the board. I only glued in 3 spots per garland..at each end and near the center, making sure to pull tight so that the garland didn't sag.

I actually LOVED the look of the circles and the 3-dimensional look that it gave..I almost just framed it like that without the glass (because the glass flattens it a little) and hung it on my wall as an art piece, but I was going for practical here...not artsy.
The last step is pretty easy. Just slap that finished board into the frame and that's IT! The best thing about this project is that it took about 1 hour start to finish. You could even use it as a mat for a photo...a picture in the middle of all of the circles would look pretty nifty.

Another cool thing about this project is that it's actually three mini projects in one. I could see making the garland for all kinds of reasons (Christmas tree, Bday decoration, bedroom decor, etc.) and the framed 3-D art would be cool, especially if you used old magazine pages or scrapbooking paper for the circles.
SO there you have it...my first ever DIY post. I plan to bring this feature to you every Wed. throughout the summer. Some will be based directly off of other people's projects that I will link you up to. OH and I forgot to tell you the absolute best part of this project (besides the fact that Paige could actually help me with it), Scott made dinner WHILE I was making it!! Brilliant. Pretend to be realllyyy busy and absorbed in a project and your husband may have no other choice but to step in a do some cooking!!
Be sure to check out my blog post below for my giveaways going on, ending this evening!! Happy Wednesday.
Leora
No comments:
Post a Comment